Shingle roofing is one of the most common roofing types found in residential and commercial buildings. Although shingle roofing is known for its durability and low-maintenance benefits, there are still certain repairs that may be necessary over time. Understanding the common repairs needed for shingle roofing can help you prepare for and address any issues that may arise. Here’s a list of the top eight common shingle roofing repairs that you need to know.
- Busted or Missing Shingle Replacement: One of the most common shingle roofing repairs is replacing busted or missing shingles. Over time, shingles can become worn or damaged due to exposure to weather elements so a shingle repair is essential. This repair is important as it helps maintain the integrity of your roof and prevents any further damage from occurring. You can either replace the missing shingle yourself or hire a professional roofer to do the job for you.
- Curling and Blistering Shingles: Curling or blistering shingles are caused by heat exposure, moisture, or inadequate ventilation. To prevent this, make sure that your roof is properly ventilated and that you’re using the correct type of shingle for your climate.
- Loose Flashing Replacement: Flashing is a thin layer of metal that is used to seal the edges of your roof and prevent water from entering your home. Over time, flashing can become loose, allowing water to enter your home and cause damage. If you notice any loose flashing on your roof, you should contact a professional roofer to replace it promptly.
- Leak Repair: Leaks are one of the most common repairs needed on shingle roofs. They can occur due to age, wear, or storm damage. Leaks in your shingle roofing need to be repaired as soon as possible in order to prevent further damage to your home. Depending on the severity of the leak, you may need to replace the shingles around the area or simply seal it with a waterproof sealant.
- Shingle Discoloration Repair: Sun exposure, dirt, and debris can cause your shingles to become discolored over time. To repair discolored shingles, you can use a pressure washer to clean off any dirt or debris from the surface. If the discoloration persists, you may need to consider replacing the shingles completely.
- Ventilation Repair: Proper ventilation is essential for any roofing system. Poor ventilation can lead to moisture buildup, which can damage your roof and cause mold growth. If your roof isn’t properly ventilated, you may need to have the vents repaired or replaced.
- Algae and Moss Growth: Algae and moss growth can cause unsightly dark streaks on your roof. This is caused by moisture and shade, and can significantly reduce the lifespan of your roof. To prevent this, it’s important to regularly clean your shingles with a power washer.
- Ice Dam Removal: Ice dams can form in the winter months when snow melts and refreezes on the roof. This can cause damage to your shingles, as well as your gutters. If you notice an ice dam forming, it’s important to have it removed as soon as possible.
Shingle roofing repairs are essential for any homeowner and should not be taken lightly. While some repairs are easy to do on your own, others may require the help of a professional. From patching holes and replacing torn shingles to dealing with ice damming, these are the top eight common shingle roofing repairs that you need to know. So, the next time you are dealing with a leaky roof, you’ll be prepared to tackle the job like a pro!
Are you looking for experienced and reliable roofing contractors for shingle install and repair? Then look no further than Granada Roofing & Exteriors! We understand that shingle installation and repair can be a complex and time-consuming process. That’s why our experienced team is dedicated to providing you with the best customer service possible. We will work with you to determine the best course of action for your shingle installation and repair needs and provide you with an accurate estimate of the cost and time frame to complete the project. Let us make sure that your roof is in top condition! Contact us today to get started!